Although Tesla has its own app in the iOS App Store, if you want to control your car with your Apple Watch, you need to download the third-party Remote S for Tesla app, which has built-in Apple Watch compatibility.
With the Remote S app, you can perform many of the same functions on your wrist that you can in the app on your iPhone or another iOS device. Use the app with your Apple Watch to start the Tesla or summon your car when you’re not around it.
Remote S for Tesla iOS App Features
The features of the Remote S iOS app, many of which are available on the Apple Watch, include:
- The iOS app contains a fully functional Apple Watch app.
- Start the car with Touch ID without needing a password, a feature that can be disabled.
- Open, connect, and issue commands faster than the Tesla app.
- Camp mode keeps the HVAC on in the car even though there is no activity. Normally, the car turns off the HVAC system after 30 minutes.
- Trigger HomeLink even if the car is plugged in, not in Park, or you are not near the car.
- Summon your car when you are not near it with autopilot activated.
- Display battery usage.
- Adjust the panoramic roof to more settings than vent and close with a button or a percentage slider.
- No-Commands mode lets you log in the app for your family or friends to monitor your Tesla’s location live without allowing them to issue commands to your car.
- Breadcrumb tracking shows the path the car has recently taken.
- Trip statistics shows your current MPGe, kWh used, miles traveled, kWh per 100 miles, cost savings vs. an internal combustion engine car, cost savings over the lifetime of your car, and many more fun stats.
- Save trip routes to different save slots and compare the distance, kWh used, cost, and more for each route.
- Display accurate odometer/range readout with decimal places.
- Consolidated stats and commands into one screen provide quick and easy access.
- Start and unlock the car with Apple Watch without a password.
- Change passenger and driver temperature settings separately instead of always together
- View estimated range, which is determined by the average consumption of your past 30 miles and estimates the battery range based on that past usage
- Monitor all three ranges — estimated, rated, and ideal/typica — at the same time without changing the settings in your car
Apple Watch Features
The Remote S for Tesla iOS app for iOS devices includes Apple Watch features that work on the watch. Those features include:
- Support for Siri Shortcuts
- Unlock or lock the car
- Start and stop heating and A/C
- Roof control for Teslas with a pano roof
- Temperature change controls
- Honk the horn
- Flash the lights
- Enable or disable valet mode and clear PIN
- Summon reverse/forward/stop
- Trigger HomeLink
- Start and stop charging
- Open and close charge port (if supported)
- Car location and tracking
- Support for kilometers or miles and Celsius or Fahrenheit
- Display charging stats such as amperage, phases, voltage, miles/hour, and time left